Brain trauma is one of the most devastating kinds of injuries a person can sustain. Even if the injury isn’t life-threatening, the victim might suffer permanent complications that affect his or her relationships, ability to earn an income, and general quality of life.
If you sustained a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in a car accident, recovering compensation for medical bills and other damages won’t turn back time, but it may protect your family’s financial security and ensure you get the best care possible. Read on to learn the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about car accident head injury claims:
- How Can I Prove the Severity of My Head Injury?
TBIs are inherently complicated. They might not even be detectable on CT scans, X-rays, and other diagnostic imaging modalities. It may be necessary to supplement your claim with other evidence such as:
- Statements from neurologists;
- Statements from psychologists;
- Statistics regarding injuries similar to yours;
- Journal entries recounting the daily struggles you’ve faced because of the TBI;
- Testimony from loved ones and coworkers detailing the changes they’ve noticed in your demeanor since the accident; and
- Reports from treating providers such as your primary care physician, occupational therapist, and psychiatrist.
- What Kinds of Damages Can I Pursue After Sustaining a Head Injury in a Car Accident?
If you sustained a TBI in a car accident, you may be able to pursue compensation for the following damages:
- Property damage;
- Past and future medical bills;
- Ongoing rehabilitative care;
- Prescription medication;
- Medical equipment;
- Home care;
- Lost income and benefits;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Child care;
- Domestic help;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and
- Loss of enjoyment in life.
- How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Claim?
There’s no way to estimate how long it might take to resolve your case until your attorney has assessed the relevant facts; however, you might be able to get a rough idea of the potential duration of the proceedings by knowing the factors that could influence the timeline of your claim. Such factors include the amount of compensation you’re pursuing, the strength of the available evidence, whether the opposing party is cooperative, and the amount of time it takes for you to reach maximum medical improvement.
- Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Your attorney can handle all the logistics of your case so you can focus on healing. Below are just a few ways your lawyer can assist with the proceedings:
- Investigating the accident;
- Interviewing eyewitnesses;
- Consulting with the relevant experts;
- Gathering evidence of liability;
- Tracking damages;
- Calculating a fair settlement;
- Negotiating with the opposing party;
- Handling all correspondence with the insurance adjuster; and
- Preparing your case for court if the opposing party is uncooperative.
Discuss Your Claim with a Car Accident Attorney in Massachusetts
If you were hurt in a car accident through no fault of your own, contact Charnas Law Firm to discuss your case. Our team is proud to help injured parties throughout New York and Massachusetts pursue the compensation they need to move on with life. Call 212-980-6800 or use our Online Contact Form to set up a free, confidential consultation with a car accident lawyer in Massachusetts.