Boston Personal Injury Lawyer
Every year in the United States, more than 150,000 people die from unintentional accidents, and millions more are severely injured. Victims and their families often have to rely on their savings and credit cards to make ends meet. If you or someone you love was hurt due to another person’s negligence, a Boston personal injury lawyer from Charnas Law Firm can help you fight for the compensation you need to regain your financial footing.
Building a successful claim is challenging and may require an extensive investigation, eyewitness interviews, and input from medical and financial experts. Even if your case seems strong, the insurance adjuster will search for reasons to reduce the value of your claim or deny it outright.
At Charnas Law Firm, we understand the strategies used by insurance companies to dispute perfectly valid claims, and we will fight tirelessly to help you pursue the maximum payout possible. Call 212-980-6800 to schedule a free consultation with one of the leading personal injury attorneys in Boston.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
When you turn to Charnas Law Firm for representation, you can count on receiving strategic legal guidance at every stage of the claims process. We have a track record of success in a wide array of practice areas including:
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Product Liability
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Train Accidents
- Ferry Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Construction Site Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Automated External Defibrillator Litigation
- Civil Rights Violations
- Dental Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Dog Bites
- Police Brutality
- Social Security Disability Claims
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Other Types of Injuries
Why You Should Call a Boston Personal Injury Lawyer Right Away
After any kind of serious accident, your first priority should be your health. Once your condition stabilizes, it’s a good idea to seek legal counsel as soon as possible.
If you let too much time pass before commencing the claims process, it could jeopardize your chances of recovering a fair payout. Depending on the circumstances, critical evidence may not be available indefinitely. Also, it’s not uncommon for accident victims to make an inadvertent error that threatens their case. Something as simple as giving the insurance adjuster a recorded statement or posting about your injury on social media could harm your claim.
If you turn to Charnas Law Firm immediately, we will handle all the logistics of your case from day one. As one of Boston’s top personal injury lawyers, Scott Charnas can take care of correspondence with the opposing party and help you avoid costly mistakes. By letting a seasoned personal injury attorney take over, you will be able to focus on your health without having to worry about tedious, time-consuming tasks like interviewing eyewitnesses and obtaining surveillance footage.
We Will Help You Avoid Unnecessary Disputes, Delays, and Complications
When recovering from serious injuries, the last thing you want to deal with is a lengthy legal battle. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters often look for excuses to drag on the proceedings so the claimant gets fed up and accepts a settlement—even if it’s unfair—solely to alleviate the stress.
Here at Charnas Law Firm, we take steps to mitigate any unnecessary disputes, delays, and complications. Because of our impressive track record in and out of court, insurance adjusters throughout Massachusetts know we mean business. As soon as they find out you have turned to us for counsel, they may be less inclined to use devious tactics to reduce your settlement.
We Will Handle All Correspondence with the Opposing Party
In most accident cases, injured parties do not actually go up against those liable for their damages; rather, they take on the at-fault party’s insurance provider. If you’ve ever had to file a claim with your own insurer, you may already know how challenging it can be to secure a fair settlement. Unfortunately, recovering compensation as a third-party claimant can be even more difficult.
Regardless of whether your case involves a motor vehicle accident, defective product, or surgical error, you can be sure the liable party’s insurer will do everything possible to devalue your claim. Common tactics include:
- Offering a Premature Settlement: Insurance adjusters know that the claimant’s total damages can only increase with every day that passes. They also know that money is often tight in the wake of a serious accident. Therefore, they might try to prey on the injured party’s desperation by offering a settlement before he or she has reached maximum medical improvement.
- Misrepresenting Recorded Statements: When insurance adjusters cannot get claimants to make compromising statements, they may simply misrepresent whatever statements they do obtain. Since our legal team will handle all correspondence on your behalf, you won’t have to worry about being taken out of context. If the time comes to provide a recorded statement, you can be sure what we draft will be direct and unambiguous. We will also retain a copy for our own records so we can challenge any misrepresentations.
- Contesting the Existence or Severity of Injuries: If you don’t have sufficient evidence of damages, the opposing party is likely to dispute your claim. Depending on the circumstances, they may even challenge the existence of certain injuries, or argue that they were pre-existing or that they were caused by something else. This is especially common when claimants are seeking compensation for injuries for which there are no visible signs, such as whiplash or a traumatic brain injury.
- Shifting Fault to the Claimant: If the policyholder is not liable for the accident, the insurance company will not have to cover the damages. As such, the claims adjuster may try to shift fault to you if there’s any evidence whatsoever that you may have been at fault.
If you enlist Scott Charnas to handle your case, you can rest assured that you and your family will be well-represented through every stage of the proceedings. Scott and his outstanding support staff will help you stay one step ahead of the insurance adjuster and make sure you are treated fairly. We’ll take care of all the logistics so you can focus on more important matters like your health and spending time with loved ones.
How Attorney Scott Charnas May Be Able to Strengthen Your Case
Our law firm has the resources and experience to take on even the largest insurance companies, government entities, and corporations. We will do everything in our power to help you build the strongest case possible and recover the full compensation you deserve.
Here are just a few ways we can contribute to the strength of your claim:
- Gathering Evidence: Every winning personal injury claim includes sufficient evidence of both liability and damages. Although claimants can gather some of this evidence on their own—before even leaving the scene of the accident, in fact—much of it may be hard to obtain without applying legal pressure. Examples include cell phone records, footage from CCTV surveillance cameras, electronic data logs, and dash cam footage. During your free case review, we will determine the kinds of evidence that may be needed to give your case the strongest chance of resulting in a satisfactory payout. Then, we will get to work immediately to compile it because some evidence may be time-sensitive.
- Consulting with Expert Witnesses: In many personal injury suits, testimony from expert witnesses can provide insight into critical components of the case or at least corroborate the claimant’s version of events. For example, accident reconstruction experts can evaluate photographs of a crash scene to determine what happened in the moments leading up to the wreck. Likewise, medical experts can explain the types of ongoing care the claimant will likely need in the years to come.
- Tracking Economic Damages: We will track all economic damages stemming from the accident. These might include medical expenses, lost wages, domestic help, transportation, and property repairs.
- Calculating Non-Economic Damages: Estimating non-economic damages like pain and suffering is a bit more challenging than tracking monetary losses. Fortunately, we know how to apply the most widely accepted formulas for doing so. We also know how to gather evidence of these damages so the insurance adjuster is less inclined to challenge the figure we deem fair.
- Helping You Avoid Critical Mistakes: It’s fairly easy to jeopardize a personal injury claim inadvertently. Simply going out to dinner with friends and then posting about it on social media could compromise the strength of your claim. Attorney Scott Charnas can explain the mistakes you must avoid to give your case the best chance of success.
- Preparing the Case for Trial: We will prepare to go to court, regardless of whether we anticipate a settlement. This will let the opposing party know we are serious about seeing the case through to the end.
Damages That Might Be Recoverable in a Boston Personal Injury Claim
If your claim is successful, the potential value of your monetary award will depend on a variety of factors. Examples include the extent of your damages, the severity of your injuries, and how the injuries have affected your wellbeing. Whether you are deemed partially liable can also influence the final settlement or verdict.
After all relevant factors have been accounted for, you may be entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Lost income;
- Lost benefits;
- Loss of earning capacity;
- Property repairs or replacement;
- Home care;
- Child care;
- Medical equipment;
- Home and vehicle modifications;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Scarring and disfigurement;
- Loss of enjoyment of life; and
- Loss of consortium.
Steps to Take After Sustaining a Serious Injury
Getting hurt in any kind of accident scenario is inherently stressful, but maintaining your composure is critical to the success of your claim. Below are a few tips that may increase your chances of recovering a fair settlement:
- Seek Medical Care: If you don’t visit a doctor right away, your injuries could worsen. This not only might result in a less favorable prognosis but also could make it challenging to recover compensation for 100% of your damages. If the opposing party learns that you didn’t seek immediate medical care, they may try to argue that you are partially liable for the severity of your injuries.
- Follow Doctor’s Orders: After you return home, make it a point to follow your doctor’s orders exactly. This will both facilitate the recovery process and demonstrate a commitment to mitigating your damages.
- Track All Costs Associated with Treating Your Injuries: Save receipts, records, and invoices regarding your treatment. If you have to miss work due to your injury, you should request documentation from your doctor stating as much. This may reduce the likelihood of the insurance adjuster challenging our settlement calculations.
- Update Your Online Privacy Settings: Reviewing social medial profiles is a standard part of every claims investigation. Insurance adjusters want to see if claimants post anything that might contradict their statements. Adjusters also search for photos of claimants participating in physical activities, which may be used to argue the claimant has not taken the necessary steps to mitigate damages. To avoid a dispute, it’s best to disable your social media accounts altogether while your case is pending. If that’s not an option, setting your accounts to “private” will at least provide an added layer of protection.
- Consult a Personal Injury Attorney: Once your health has stabilized, call our office right away. We will answer all of your questions and help you make informed decisions. If we determine that your case has merit, our team can perform a thorough investigation and guide you through every step of the proceedings.
Call 212-980-6800 for a Free Consultation with a Boston Personal Injury Lawyer
Our entire team is passionate about helping people who have suffered due to the negligence of others. Attorney Scott Charnas has recovered millions of dollars for victims of personal injury and wrongful death in both New York and Massachusetts.
Your initial consultation is free of charge, and if we don’t win, you won’t have to pay any legal fees. To schedule a case review, call our law office at 212-980-6800 or fill out our Contact Form to reach us online.